I grew up in Chicago. I lived behind Wrigley Field until I was about 6. Go Cubs!
We moved out to Elk Grove Village where I went to high school. During 6th grade, I started playing the string bass. Prior to that, I played the violin. Going into junior high with pimples, braces, playing the violin, during my disco phase, was not the best combination for making friends not to mention getting girlfriends. Switching to bass was a great move. I was instantly performing with the Orchestra and Jazz band. In high school, I was in the All-State band for 2 years. To quote my grandmother; “My grandson, the musician!!”
I went to College at Western Michigan University and graduated in 1991 with a degree in music performance and communications.
During the summers, I performed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan. It was a great experience performing 7 days a week and 6 hours a night. I learned how events work from the inside.
I then toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra for 2 years. We toured all through Japan, South America and various parts of New Jersey. I’ve travelled to 27 countries throughout my music career, which has made me very comfortable speaking with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and nationalities. I feel I can talk to anyone.
After touring, I returned to Chicago and started performing with some of the top Chicago wedding bands. While there were many good musicians to work with in those bands, I found the events to be all the same.
I found other Chicago wedding bandleaders were:
– Playing the same songs over and over again regardless of the client speicific needs.
– Same things to say between songs
– Inability to adjust the song choices to what people are dancing or not dancing to.
I felt the clients, brides and their guests deserved something better.
In 2000, David Rothstein Music, Inc was formed.
My Goals were and continue to be:
– Create a music company that was designed around each client’s specific needs.
– Provide my clients with all the help they need.
– Be friendly, helpful and get back to them right away.
– Treat all my clients like friends, instead of account numbers.
– Make the planning process, fun, organized and effective.
– Look out for the total success of the wedding or event, not just the music.
There’s a bit about me, I’d love to learn about you and how we can work together!
Feel free to ask any questions. I welcome your comments. Let me know if you have any ideas for topics on future Blogs.
David Rothstein Music, Inc